It is now autumn and with the chilling of the air comes one of the most difficult times of the year for many people. The holiday season. Thanksgiving will be here before you know it, then Chanukah and Christmas swiftly followed by New Year’s. But why is this time of year such a challenge for so many people? Let’s take a look at a few reasons…
1. Spending time (or not spending time) with your own family can be stressful.
– Do you turn back into your teenage self? Do your parents try to parent you like you’re a child?
– Do you act a certain way around your family that is not the real you?
2. Spending time (or not spending time) with your in-law’s can be extremely difficult.
– Are there certain expectations?
– Do you feel judged?
– How do you decide how much time to spend with each family?
3. Travel is getting more difficult each year.
– Delayed flights.
– More cars on the road means tons of traffic.
4. Food. What you eat, when you eat, why you eat.
– Do you have eating issues that are exacerbated by being with family?
– Does it seem like the most important part of the holiday to your family, is food?
I would love to hear your feedback! Send me an email (AnotherLook@HealingLLC.com) with a question about what to do about your holidays situation. Or let me know what makes the holiday season difficult for you or the people around you. All communication will remain confidential.
Stay tuned for Part II where we will address “What can you do to not only survive, but thrive during this holiday season”.
Take Good Care,
–Amy L. Hooper, LGSW
Director, Another Look at Healing, LLC